Access Partnership Co-Writes a White Paper on Challenges and Solutions in Providing Universal Internet AccessPosted on 26th April 2018
Ryan Johnson, Senior Manager, International Public Policy, co-wrote a white paper for IEEE on “Options and Challenges in Providing Universal Access.”
The paper identifies five challenges in providing universal Internet access and offers potential solutions for each:
- Internet network infrastructure: issues include capital scarcity, availability of electric power, technology choices and integration.
- The cost associated with delivering infrastructure and equipment for Internet services
- Universal education, digital literacy and content: not all people have the expertise and knowledge needed to effectively and efficiently use the Internet.
- Location and availability: remote areas of the globe raise unique and difficult challenges for Internet access.
- Disinterest: a portion of the global population may choose not to utilise the Internet, even if universally available.
Download the white paper here.Back to document archive